Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Snow Makes Me Gross

Sure, I was more than pleased to have an impromptu four-day weekend.  I read, napped, snuggled, watched copious amounts of TV and Netflix.  And I ate like there was no tomorrow.  I'm blaming it on hibernation hormones because as unnecessary as the binging was, it felt like an unavoidable stipulation of being snowed in.  The City of Portland even texted me personally, no joke.  Well, it was a city-wide wireless alert that popped up on my phone:


See?  I was strongly urged.  After being strongly urged, I have no control over what goes into my mouth.  I even gained four pounds in four days.  Impressive, I'd say.  I'm guessing that a significant portion of this is water weight because . . . well, I need to think that.  That and the fact that as much as I consumed, I can't quite believe it would've added up to 14,000 calories (14,000 / 3,500 calories per pound = 4 "real" pounds of weight gain).  But who's to say, right?  Whatever goes on in a snowstorm-induced gluttonous haze should have no consequences anyway.

Regardless, today I got back to the real world and faced the sludgy streets for work and returned home for a much needed run this evening.  I felt bloated and sluggish for most of the day and was raring to go by the time I laced up my shoes.  After cutting down my mileage last week due to weather woes, and assuming a horizontal position for several days straight, I was aching to get moving again.  This was just the run I was looking for.  An easy pace, nothing crazy, but splendid.  It reminded me of a feel-good race following a well-managed taper.  God knows I had enough carbs stored in me to power the run.

It was a nice reminder that in the weeks to come, just around the corner really, I'll be on a taper once again.  But this time it will be massive--three weeks for the marathon compared to my usual one week for a half-thon.  Three weeks of decreased mileage, restlessness, and too much time to nitpick about dos and don'ts.  It's a troubling time for me generally.  But if today's run is any indication, I might come out of it well-rested with eager, ambitious muscles.  It might be just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment